Start your claim now
You are here:
Home Traffic Accidents Car Accident Claim

Car Accident Claim

Road Traffic Accidents (RTAs), like car accidents, can cause serious injuries and even death, having a major impact on people's lives and the lives of people around them. Injuries can range from superficial cuts and bruises to serious injuries that cause permanent disabilities, amputations or disfigurement. Even the common whiplash injury can cause long term pain and suffering, and affect a person's ability to work and enjoy life.

If you have suffered an injury in a car accident caused by someone else or caused by negligence, such as a bad road surface or dangerous road, you may be able to claim personal injury compensation which can help you to rebuild your life. Injuries don't have to be major or life threatening for you to claim compensation because even a small injury can mean you having to take time off work, losing pay, having to fork out for prescriptions or private medical care, or coping with other out-of-pocket expenses.

You may have legal insurance cover with your car insurance, but if you haven't it is easy to get advice from personal injury lawyers who can advise you on whether you have a claim and the likelihood of success. A no win no fee personal injury solicitor will seek injury compensation off the insurance company of the person who was responsible for the accident, or the local authority if the accident was caused by something like the road. Don't worry unnecessarily if the person to blame fled the scene of the accident or if it is found that they were uninsured because your solicitor will be able to claim compensation from the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) in this type of case.

Claiming Personal Injury Compensation for a Car Accident

To be able to win compensation for your personal injury, you and your personal injury lawyer will need to prove that someone else was to blame for the traffic accident that caused your injury. There are things you can do (or get a companion to do) after an accident to help your claim:-

  • Report the accident - All Road Traffic Accidents that cause injury should be reported to the police. Police statements and reports can be used in court to show what happened.
  • Make a record of vehicle registration number, the contact details of those involved, insurance companies and witnesses to the accident.
  • Photograph the scene if possible - Photos of skid marks, vehicles, road conditions, hazards etc. can be used in court to back up your case.
  • Get medical treatment - However small your injury, you should get yourself checked out so that there is a record of your injury and how severe it was. You may also need medical treatment.
  • Report the accident to your motor insurance company - Do this as soon as possible and provide them with the information they need. Find out also if you have any legal cover.
  • Consult a personal injury solicitor and get your personal injury claim underway as soon as possible.
  • Keep receipts of out-of-pocket expenses, medical bills, travel expenses etc. and also keep proof of any loss of earnings that result from your injury.

Claims for RTAs need to be made within 3 years of the accident, but it is best to start the accident claim as soon as possible after so that everything is fresh in your mind and the mind of your witnesses.

An example of a payout for a car accident is a man who had his spinal cord severed in a car accident. He was awarded £2.5 million in compensation because he was left paralysed and wheelchair bound. You can imagine the devastating effect this had on his life and career, and how this compensation could help to pay for his needs and care.

For Free Legal Advice call us on 0800 234 6438


-- Compensation for family of child born with severe disabilities due to medical negligence

Mistakes made when Mattia Dessi was being delivered have had a drastic effect upon the rest of his life, leaving him suffering from severe spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy, a condition which encompasses being blind, epileptic and unable to sit, speak or walk without help.

-- G20 protestors awarded compensation

The G20 protests which took place in London in April 2009 were already notorious due to the death of Ian Tomlinson, a newspaper vendor who died shortly after he was filmed being pushed violently to the ground by PC Simon Harwood.

-- Man’s family make claim over his death from asbestos-related disease

A statement given by a man five months before he died has been used as the basis for a compensation claim arising from the fact that the illness which claimed his life was caused by working with asbestos.